Tests in PSYNDEX
PSYNDEX contains descriptions of tests, rating scales, questionnaires, interview methods, observation methods, test apparatus, computer-assisted
diagnosis measures, and other diagnostic instruments used in German-speaking countries, covering all areas of psychology and education, as well as
related disciplines such as medicine, psychiatry, and business. It also contains descriptions of German-language adaptations of American and English tests,
as well as tests in other languages. In addition to published tests, unpublished research instruments are also documented.
Additional record types documented in the title field:
- PSYNDEX Tests Info: Includes title, bibliographic information, test availability, and indexing terms.
- PSYNDEX Tests Abstract: Includes information in Info, abstracts with essential information on application, procedure, construction,
and empirical evidence as well as important administration conditions (application age, administration time); if appropriate, references are cited.
- PSYNDEX Tests Review: Each complete entry contains a 3- to 10-page (10-25 KB) uniform description of the test concept and test
construction, a summary of findings from reliability and validity studies, an outline of test procedure and scoring, and areas of application; it
concludes with a critique. For some tests, all items are reproduced. Test criteria regarding validity, norms, etc., can be applied using the information
presented. The critical evaluation is oriented toward current psychometric requirements of tests as formulated, for example by the
Diagnostik- und Testkuratorium2. The
founder of the database, Prof. Dr. Helmut Lukesch, guarantees the database's scientific standards for all contributions.
As of June 2017, PSYNDEX contains 7,404 test citations:
- PSYNDEX Tests Review: 3,672 tests
- PSYNDEX Tests Abstract: 330 tests
- PSYNDEX Tests Info: 3,403 tests
PSYNDEX represents a possible source of publication for new diagnostic measures (research instruments, translations, evaluative measures, etc.). Items
can be made available online to those who are interested.
The 23 rd edition of the Verzeichnis Testverfahren1
offers an overview of all tests documented to date in PSYNDEX (PDF files in German).
Advantages of PSYNDEX
Because of its size and database structure, PSYNDEX offers the following advantages to researchers, students, and others interested in tests:
- The database segment contains the most comprehensive documentation of tests developed and used in German-speaking countries; with regard to the number
of measures documented it far exceeds any other diagnostic compendium published in the German-speaking countries.
- Because it has been structured for electronic data processing, searches for specific tests in all areas of psychology and related disciplines can be
performed faster and therefore at less expense. Searching by test name, test author, publication year, keywords, classification terms, and free-text is
possible; also field-specific searches (theoretical background, test concept, applications) and logical combinations of search terms (AND, OR, NOT) is
possible. Results are displayed in fractions of a second.
- Complete test descriptions provide comprehensive, compact information about all major aspects of a test. The descriptions also take into account
research results not covered in the test manual or source publication (e.g., replication studies, data regarding validity and reliability, applications)
that were found in searches of psychology databases (PSYNDEX, PsycINFO). Descriptions are so extensive that they can be used as a short guide for the
test, and yet are compact enough that they are still easy to read and comprehend.
- PSYNDEX is continuously expanded and revised. About 20 to 50 new complete descriptions are added each year, as well as about 100 test citations with
bibliographical data and indexing terms. Test descriptions are completely revised and updated yearly. Printed handbooks, on the other hand, are only current
at the time of publication and lose currency fairly quickly.
- PSYNDEX is a means for test authors to publish and publicize their newly developed tests (research instruments, translations into German,
evaluative measures) within the framework of a database.
The following features make PSYNDEX a great research tool for tests even if you don't speak German.
- Titles, descriptors, and other indexing terms are searchable in English as well as German.
- All records are indexed with the American Psychological Association's Thesaurus of Psychological Index Terms3 (Copyr. Am. Psych. Assn., 11th ed.,
2007, all rights reserved; translated and adapted by permission of the American Psychological Association) with Scope Notes, Tree Structure,
Permuted Index, Explode Capabilities, and mapping of German and English terms. The same thesaurus is used in APA databases such as PsycINFO.
- Bilingual (German, English) mapping analysis of users' natural language queries and suggestions for appropriate terms for searching.
- An English version of the APA classification categories and ZPID's test categories is in preparation. This will allow a quick overview of
important areas of test application in the German-speaking countries, both for published tests as well as research instruments.
- The Title field provides the full test name, test abbreviation, English test name translation, and synonyms of test names.
- The References field contains literature references to a test, including in many cases information about test versions in languages other than German.
URLs of the link's on this page: